Sunday, April 11, 2010

EASY AND WILLING TO BELIEVE

Are we ever like Naaman, the Syrian leper who was sent to the prophet in Israel to be cleansed? When Elisha sent a messenger with instructions to dip seven times in the Jordan River, Naaman went away angry. Thankfully, he had a servant who said, “If the prophet had bid thee do some great thing, wouldest thou not have done it? how much rather then, when he saith to thee, Wash, and be clean?” (2 Kings 5:13).

I have thought of that story often over the years. Who among us wants to be like Naaman? But, how often are we slow to follow counsel that has been given… or slow to heed the teachings in the scriptures… or hesitant to observe the personal revelation we have received?

Wouldn’t we rather be seen as individuals who are willing and easy to believe?

And thus we see that the Lord began to pour out his Spirit upon the Lamanites, because of their easiness and willingness to believe in his words. Helaman 6:36
The journey of widowhood has been one that has increased my trust in the Lord. It has caused me to be more patient and to take the steps I feel inspired to take. Regardless of whether I understand where that step is going to take me. I have more fully been able to follow blindly, with an easiness to believe. There have been steps that have been difficult – but with each step I take I feel as though I have strengthened my relationship with my Savior. He does not leave us. I may get lazy in doing the things I know draw me closer – such as daily prayer and scripture reading – but He is always there, I just need to come back to Him.

As I look back over the past five years and look at the outcomes to difficult decisions, I am grateful. Grateful that this has not been a journey I have walked alone. Grateful to my Savior for leading me, guiding me and walking by me.

No comments:

Post a Comment