Thursday, February 25, 2010

THE EXCEPTION

As a continuation to yesterday's post... There was one exception to my run. He was the last date.

One of the girls I worked with had pestered me for a couple months to allow her to set me up. I would quickly shut her down every time. One day I was sitting in my office and she came in and took a photo on her cell phone. Now, even with the advancements in technology - it is extraordinarily RARE to get a GOOD photo of someone from a camera phone. She snapped the photo - and I quickly asked her what she thought she was doing. She divulged her plan to text the photo to the guy she was trying to set me up with. I thought, perfect!! Because that will only make him also say "no thank you".

A couple days later I had walked out on the sales floor. It was quiet with no customers. The girl, "C", again, begged for her to be allowed to set me up. I, as nicely as possible, explained to her that the kind of guys she would like - are not the same as the kind of guys I would like. She then explained that is why he was perfect for me! He was not even close to her type. Another one of the girls vouched for the guy and also encouraged me to try it. I caved. He was arranged as the last date.

When the day arrived, having just had half a dozen BAD dates, I was annoyed that I had committed to spending any of my time this way. I figured it would be easy enough to keep short. I walked in to the determined meeting location and having to figure out who he was, was not a difficult task. There was only one person there! I was relieved that at the very least I would have some eye candy for the next hour. As lunch began, we began with some standard "get to know you" talk. Luckily, we didn't have to stick to all standard, as I had sufficiently 'googled' him prior to our meeting. I had found out a few things about him that we could discuss... such as his losing streak in tennis at the local club.

We had good conversation, so good in fact, I started to interrogate him to see if I could extract some of the same behavior I had experienced in the previous two weeks. Nothing. All good.

The end of our encounter was coming to a close and typical as with them all, he asked if he could have my phone number. I provided my cell. NO, not my work cell.... MY cell.

When the date was almost to a close my friend from work was already calling him to find out how it went. Her first question? What number did she give you? His response: "What?" ... "What number did she give you?"... "Why?"... "Because the number she gave you will tell all as to how SHE felt it went, what's the number?"... he gave her the number. She cheered!

No comments:

Post a Comment