Friday, January 29, 2010

HOPE

I have a friend who is going through a very difficult time right now. She is inspirational to watch her handle her tremendous trial with such grace. I was on the phone with her the other day and we were talking about hope... as we have quite a bit lately. You can't give up hope.

I had not thought too much about that, in terms of how it applied to my life until she said... "I remember you... you never gave up hope. Two days before Chris died, there was still a plan for how he would get better." In fact the day he died I was talking to my sister on the phone and I told her, "I think I am the only person in this room that believes he may not die".

I think a lot of people felt as though I was not accepting what was happening to me... but I had unwavering faith. I knew my Father in Heaven, God, was watching over me... so I pushed forward with hope. With faith in His plan for us. My husband gradually declined in health from the summer of '04 until his death in January '05. But, I kept up the hope... not in a negative... clingy kind of way.. but I continued to believe that no matter what the situation appeared to be, it could change at any time according to God's will.

I felt peace. I guess that hope gives us that. Since his death, the hope continues... my hope for my kids, that they will heal, that they will be positive, contributing members of society, that they won't be supporting the "psychology field" as they heal from their childhood :), hope that I will have a better future than my past, hope for finding my way out of this maze.

M. Russell Ballard said "As we put our faith and trust to work, hope is born. Hope grows out of faith and gives meaning and purpose to all that we do".

I hope you will take a couple minutes to view this video on hope.

I had a friend tell me once that she was concerned about a friend who didn't appear to be taking seriously what was happening to her husband (he was dieing as well)... who are we to question another's hope? Our 'carnal' nature is what wants us to say to someone... "wake up" but, on a spiritual side... why would we want someone to give up hope? I used to say, "If I am in denial... leave me here... it's a beautiful place to be".

There is nothing wrong, in fact, there is something very right - about having hope.

No comments:

Post a Comment